with only 26 years became, in 1996, at the first Councilman mapuc I have in the country. Since then Adolfo Mellibur Ñancuil, has been re-elected over and over again as Mayor of Tirúa and it has first-name terms with the Governments of all political colours and therefore speaks with property on the conflicts in the Araucanía. Ad portas La Moneda and the Minister of Social development, Alfredo Moreno, den known as announced Plan for that zone that aspire to lower levels of stress and conflict, Mellibur speaks without outspoken to the considered «communicational pyrotechnics» photo that in July Aniceto Norín starred the lonko with the leader of the Sofofa, Bernado Matte and the meeting subsequently Luchsinger Mackay had with the child of the marriage. «It is legitimate that the Lonko can facilitate dialogue, any mapuche if you can, do it, put his public image in the service of unlocking a situation (…) He was imprisoned for 5 years by the anti-terrorism Act, then was picked up, got a few productive projects, buy land and is now on its own agenda. It does not obey the mapuche movement. It is reduced to its micro-enterprise», said the Mayor.
– the Minister Moreno is a partner that really listens?
– so far what I’ve come to understand is that it has been an evolution in the understanding of the case, is a type which I believe intelligent, skillful, open, it obeys a logic and political interest which is not necessarily the most generous with the mapuches.
– was the President of the CPC (Confederation of production and Commerce). They are up, thinking that all their doing is so generous, when they realize that in practice they have the broom down. It gives me the impression that Moreno came down from Olympus and is talking to a reality. History has shown that they have passed many Governments, with brilliant proposals, but time has shown that they have not come up with the right solution.
– if to reflect on acts of violence in the Araucanía which have ended with dead victims, what would it say?
– there is a double standard, a double standard. The death of these two elderly people – marriage Luksinger Mackay – sadly, hampered and delegitimized the worthy of the Mapuche struggle. The media have spoken of death that double every day as the only victims, but who talks of the Popes to Matías Catrileo, they also carry a terrible penalty. Who said anything about Alex Lemún, a 16-year-old girl also died also! No one has been made Manager of thousands of mapuches dead
– has stigmatized the mapuche people?
– wild and uncivilized, thus caricaturizaban to the mapuche people Spaniards. Then, in the pacification of the Araucanía he ahondaría in this disqualification, with epithets such as loose mapuche, which does not obey the logic of civilization and today has been replicated, with the image of the mapuche conflict, terrorist.
– again and again is also heard saying that they live in poverty…
– each Government comes with the idea that comes to lift out of poverty the Mapuche. I have hard and open communication with the current Government and with all Governments, all I have repaired them that concept that the Mapuche are not poor. The Mapuche are a people impoverished, that’s a paradigm that is completely different to that we qualify as poor. If we were poor we would not have territory, we would not have culture, we would not have a code of understanding, we would not have political relationship between us. A poor man who has fourteen thousand years of civilization is not a poor village
– what is look of large timber companies operating in the region?!!
– I call it «the fourth invasion». These companies do not have another rationality, abusive and violent indiscriminate exploitation the most essential cultural rights of the mapuche people. Is there a topic that Chilean society don’t have it internalized.
– what were the other three invasions?
– the first was the Spanish, the second that of the Chilean army, the so-called pacification of the Araucanía and the third, the installation of German, Swiss, Italian, French and European settlers. The year 1866 is the first law that originates the titles of «mercy» – a military strategy – recognize a piece of land to the communities, indigenous reductions and then became alienated the whole mapuche, running on behalf of the State. Fruit of that law tell us that we have rights of title of merced, tiny, the rest declared it Prosecutor, put the army to protect the installation of settlers who today are claiming rights also owned.
– missing understanding of the real meaning that has for the Mapuche territory?
– clear, is that for the mapuche land has nothing to do with a thing of market, is part of its essence, a sense of belonging, it is your safety as a human being. Cohabitation of all elements of the Mapu, it is what we call Itrofil monen there comes the forestry company, is installed on our territory, without taking into account and ignored people. For many Mapu is land and not, Pulli is Earth, Mapu is everything, something I’m Mapuche, am che but belong to the Mapu. The Mapu is everything, as the universe.
– which came to the Mapuche territories have not respected their history?
– who have installed have taken for granted that those who are there have no history, there is a story behind them. I have spoken with people from the family of the Matte, I told you that they came like visit, did not request permission or hit the door, no more settled. It was through a system of Government which was military. I’m talking about the forest. There is no possibility of claiming much. The problem was also that it was subsidized 100% installation of its industry and thus, more over they feel with the authority to tell us to hurt them to them.
– and what about the relationship between the mapuche and the sea?
– in 1992 begin to understand that the theme of the mapuches not only has to do with the Earth, but also with the lafken (sea). If look at the coast, where there has always been mapuche communities who have lived from the sea, the DNA of the legislators, Governments, not assimilated that the mapuches are entitled to continue to live in the sea. As well as Live Earth, you also live sea. In all the villages of fishermen, half or most are mapuches or mixture. They have an ancestral right. When in 1991, legislated to be left without right to the sea the Mapuche, is as that is today let them no right to the land.
– and what did?
– when he was approved that law, we organize ourselves. We are what is called the Lafkenche Territorial identity and from there build the 20.249 law, coastal Space Marines of native peoples is called. We talk to Governments, led that along with others, we came up with the law, we did that (Andres) Allamand were agreed, that (Pablo) Longueira us support with all his party.
– what happened?
– economic sectors, especially the SOFOFA realized that it was difficult to continue with their own interests. There appears Longueira, economy Minister of the first Government of Piñera saying that this law – which he approved being Senator – is a problem for the development of coastal. Remembered you: Ud Minister approved it you was Senator were to the side, shoulder to shoulder talking, negotiating
– the subject of the waters is in talks with Minister Moreno?!!!!!!
– Yes of course the issue of the land, the issue of the waters of the coastal edge code. They are doing various laws. Today there is one that is in the Parliament over who regulates the area of beach or beach land. There is a law that says that you could pass to national, as they manage it. As a leader, as Mayor you’ve been warning to political sectors to be careful with this law, because it would allow the privatization of the coast that today belongs to all Chileans.
– what the three bolts that PC says that Minister Moreno should be open to advance?
– the first, establish bridges that shorten the mistrust between the Mapuche with the Chilean State. The other, a change of paradigm, respect to the homeowner, means that seniority was grade. The case of the coal industry in the province of Arauco, Lebu, Cerro Alto, Curanilahue, poverty abounds, activity moved the coal industry at the time, in the circumstance that the local communities were poor, what with the production of salmon? With the of monoculture plantations of pine and eucalyptus?. Thirdly, concrete actions to establish new rules with the territories in this economy, who are overwhelming develops, it is not possible that the salmon farms leave the broom and is an environmental crisis and then will be, capitals are going.
– are also political gestures?
– it is not possible in the ninth Region not having just a regional councillor. They do not give us the possibility of participating in the decision-making powers to be able to govern our territories. To say in Parliament, where issues are discussed in the country, where is the power. So say the Executive. And the media more conservative, when we asked the multinational State, understand it as split / fragmentation when it is not so, is cohabitation.
– is Chile a plurinational State?
– Chile is, in fact, multinational, because it has several Nations, what happens to the majority of intellectuals mistake – intentional or not – state versus nation and perfectly you can cohabit, there are many comparative experiences.