photography/Twitter Chicago.-when a fire forced dozens of homeless people to leave their camp in the South Loop of Chicago, Jackie Rachev, army neighborhood local Salvation, I was ready to welcome them.
She did not know that a good Samaritan was paying to place them in rooms at a hotel.
Chicago has been brutally cold these days, with temperatures ranging from – 28 to – 31 degrees Celsius on Wednesday. The camp for homeless near the Dan Ryan Expressway was heated by 150 to 200 portable gas tanks propane, many of them donated by generous citizens.
Shortly after noon, one of the tanks exploded because it was too close to a stove, WLS, reported CNN affiliate. That left the city officials no choice but to close the camp and hurry to seek refuge for the people who live there.
«This is extremely dangerous,» said David Byrd, Commander of the Region of the police of the State of Illinois. Fortunately, no one was injured in the explosion.
Rachev said he received a call from the city to ask him to help provide shelter to about 70 people. But then I received another call saying that it was not necessary, because a good Samaritan had offered to pay for the hotel rooms.
«The Salvation Army was prepared to receive approximately 70 individuals who were affected by the explosion, but is notified that such services were not necessary because the individuals were already being aided», Rachev told CNN.
Rachev said that he was unaware of the identity of the good Samaritan or at which hotel the homeless were housed. Nor was unclear on Thursday how time will remain at the hotel.
«We know that the people of Chicago have very big hearts, but we ask that they do not provide propane tanks, since they are very dangerous,» he said.