This Saturday, the Government decided not to renew the State of emergency, which two months ago had decreed for the regions of the Biobío and Araucanía, in the South of the country, following the forest fires affecting that area.
The State of constitutional emergency decreed by the Executive allowed the military to do is charge of security and the maintenance of order in the affected areas, the intendant of the Biobío, Jorge Ulloa, said that President Sebastián Piñera resolved not renew the initiative established in the last 60 days.
«The result has been satisfactory with respect to what have been (military) checkpoints so far. The season (summer period), clearly, is coming to an end «, said Ulloa.
The State of exception or catastrophe was declared on February 5 as a result of the forest fires that left at least three dead, about a hundred homes destroyed, dozens of victims and a vast area of scorched vegetation.
In the Bío-Bío region prosecutors broke down the origin of dozens of fires that have occurred since the beginning of the summer (December 21) by suspicions that have been caused intentionally.
Ulloa said the usefulness of this measure to tell journalists that this allowed much more free movement of the personnel of the institutions of national defense, who came to work.
«In fact we served much, to help control the fires to extinguish them», he said.
In the same vein, the Governor of the region of La Araucanía, Jorge Atton, reported that following the presidential decision the staff of the army is withdrawing area.
At the national level, according to data from the national forestry Corporation (Conaf), in the season were 5.237 forest fires, 5% more than in same way date of last year, while the affected surface will reach 66.111 hectares of agricultural crops and forests, 90 % more than the previous year.