The United States maintains its decision to apply tariffs on Mexican imports since Monday despite “progress” in talks with Mexico to curb the migratory flow to the north, said White House spokesman Sarah Sanders on Friday.
“Our position has not changed,” he told reporters. “Tariffs will come into effect on Monday,” he added.
In statements from Europe, where President Donald Trump is on tour, Sanders highlighted the progress of the negotiations in Washington with officials from Mexico, in which they seek to avoid the tariff measures that will be applied from this Monday to all Mexican imports, starting at 5% and increasing monthly up to 25%.
READ: Mexico raised the U.S. National Guard deployment at the border, but there is still no agreement on Arenceles
“The meetings have gone well, but so far we are still heading towards tariffs on Monday,” he said.
According to Sanders, Trump has been informed by Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on the development of the talks, which began formally on Wednesday with a Mexican delegation headed by the Secretary of relations Exteriors, Marcelo Ebrard.
The spokesperson added that “to date” Trump has not spoken on the subject with President Andrés Manuel Lopez Obrador.
This announcement comes after two days of negotiations between the Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Marcelo Ebrard and the U.S. delegation, Iderada by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
The measure of tariffs was announced last week by President Donald Trump, who described Mexico as an “abuser” that has been taking profits for years without giving anything in return.
This Thursday, the White House economic adviser, Peter Navarro, noted that the first condition for the US government not to apply the tariffs is for Mexico to assume the role of a safe third country and accept all migrants with asylum applications in the US.
In addition, Navarro said that Mexico has to monitor more firmly its southern border with Guatemala to prevent the entry of undocumented, and that the Mexican authorities must fight against the corruption of their agents at the border posts, which makes possible the flow to the north.
READ: AMLO summons Act of Unity on the northern border, there will set his stance on tariffs
For its part, the head of the SRE stated that it sees progress in overcoming the dispute with the United States and that the meetings will continue to reach an agreement, although it did not give further details on the conditions of the United States in order not to apply the tariffs.
The Washington Post reported that, according to anonymous sources from both governments, the Mexican delegation offered the deployment of 6000 elements of the National Guard on the border with Guatemala to reduce the passage of migrants, information that was confirmed this Friday by President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, at his morning conference.
With information from AFP.
Thank you for reading! Help us get on with our work. How? Now you can subscribe to the political Animal on Facebook. With your monthly donation you will receive special content. Find out how to subscribe here. Check out our list of frequently asked questions here.