The federal government announced this Friday details about the plan to reduce the flow of Central American migrants in the southern border of Mexico, a phenomenon that should be stopped within 45 days.
The Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Marcelo Ebrard, said that no extra economic resources are required and there will be no additional cost pressures for the immigration plan.
On June 7, Mexico and the United States reached an agreement to stop the imposition of 5% tariffs on Mexican products, one of the main points agreed is that the influx of Central American migrants should be curbed on the US southern border.
Mexico pledged to reinforce its security controls on the southern border to reduce irregular migration, thus deploying elements of the National Guard in 11 municipalities on the southern border of Mexico.
The agreement between the two countries establishes that the United States will apply section 235-B2C of its immigration law. This implies that those who cross the US southern border to seek asylum will be returned without delay to Mexico where they will be able to await the resolutions of their requests.
Mexico agrees to receive asylum-seeking migrants in the United States for the duration of the trial for their stay or not in this country.
While the United States is committed to accelerating the resolution of asylum applications and proceed with the removal procedures as expeditious as possible.
Lee: What did Mexico and the United States agree to curb tariffs?
The plan: What they come for and why they come.
The head of the Secretariat of Foreign Affairs (SRE), Marcelo Ebrard Casaubon, called on the international community to commit, support and participate in the actions undertaken by Mexico in matters of migration, because it is the obligation of all and “now is when” .
The Chancellor said that although Mexico must regulate migratory flows according to the law, international support is necessary to launch the comprehensive development Plan for Central America and “do not leave us alone,” because it can also be done in the short term.
The current administration’s migratory plan seeks an orderly flow of Central Americans seeking to reach the United States and reduce migration, as agreed with Donald Trump’s government.
These are the main points.
– The deployment of the 6000 elements of the National Guard on the southern border will conclude next Tuesday, June 18.
– In Campeche, Chiapas, Oaxaca, Veracruz and Tabasco, 13 coordinations of the security Corps will be installed.
– 825 elements will be integrated into the National Migration Institute (INM) to support efforts to reduce migration, as it did not have enough staff.
– The Welfare secretariat will deploy in Chiapas a team of about 200 people over the weekend to support the delivery of social programs.
-The entry points and the number of asylum seekers to be received by Mexico will be analyzed and defined.
-A register of migrants will be made to allow them to enter the country: they must inform what they are coming from and why they come.
You may be interested: Migrants flee violence, and in Mexico they wait in the rain to give them asylum
– It will work with state mandates on the issue of sending migrants from the United States on request for asylum.
– The Government is preparing a dialogue table with Central American countries to implement the comprehensive development Plan that seeks to foster economic development and investment in southern Mexico and Central America “to create a zone of prosperity” and to address the causes of Migration.
-On Monday 17 June a letter will be sent to the UN Secretary General, António Guterres, to request the support of the Organization.
– To develop the plan, the federal government will have the support of several UN agencies, including UNHCR, UNICEF and the International Organization for Migration.
Lee: Governorate estimates that 50000 migrants await their asylum in Mexico
As part of the plan to address the migratory crisis, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador presented the members of the Special Commission headed by Marcelo Ebrard, who will lead the actions agreed with the Government of the American Union.
The instance was composed of general Vicente Antonio Sánchez for migration tasks and Francisco Garduño Yáñez, Commissioner of the decentralized administrative body of federal Social prevention and rehabilitation.
Also participating are the undersecretary of welfare, Javier May Rodríguez; The Assistant secretary for Employment of the Secretariat of Labour and Social Welfare, Horacio Duarte Olivares, and the undersecretary for Latin America and the Caribbean, Maximiliano Reyes Zúñiga.
This Thursday, Ebrard said the government of Mexico decided that it does not want migrants to cross the national territory to reach the United States.
“If you want to cross our territory to reach another country, because probably what you will find is that we are going to say: ‘ We do not want you to cross our territory ‘, if you step, if your goal is to reach another country,” he said.
Thank you for reading! Help us get on with our work. How? Now you can subscribe to the political Animal on Facebook. With your monthly donation you will receive special content. Find out how to subscribe here. Check out our list of frequently asked questions here.