The first presidential candidate of the 7 who was competing this Sunday acknowledged his defeat: the standard-bearer of Chile Podemos +, Sebastián Sichel, who said that “today the Chileans decided that other people should go to the second round” and that “it is already evident that this campaign and our candidacy did not go to the second presidential round.”
“Those of us who are democrats and have always been democrats do not have to be ashamed to say that many times Chileans decide otherwise, and today they decided that other people should go to the second round in the presidential election. Therefore, it is already evident that this campaign and our candidacy did not go to the second round,” he said.
During his speech he said that “it was very unlikely that someone like me would become a candidate for president” alluding to his origin and his independence.
Later, Sichel indicated that he already greeted José Antonio Kast (Christian Social Front) and that on previous occasions he had already mentioned that he would not vote in the second round for Gabriel Boric, since he does not want “the extreme left to win in Chile”, assuring that with Kast he has programmatic differences, that he is willing to talk “forward”.
Finally, Sichel said he decided to retire from public life: “I owe time to my family, to my children. I owe time to my family and there is also a time when you are told by citizens, reflect, think about the future,” he added.