Three years without the National Migration Service

In August 2020, a Civil Service report reported that face-to-face work in public services already reached 65%. At that time it was explained that the main reason for returning to the offices was to resume attention to the public.
Two years and 6 months have passed since that news, face-to-face attendance has returned and the offices of the National Migration Service are still closed for consultations. All questions and formalities must be done online.
In March it will be three years since they stopped attending in person. In all that time, what have older adults or people who do not have computer skills done? Or even, what can people who report failures in the processes of the page or do not have stable access to the Internet do?
We must not forget that in Latin America less than 40% of the population has basic computer skills as simple as copying a file or sending an email with an attachment. What can more than the remaining 60% do if you have a question or need to do a procedure?
There is much talk of wanting an orderly migration, without income through irregular passages and that those who come to our country meet the requirements and procedures to enter on a regular basis. The first step is that there are offices where migrants can go to be advised and to carry out processes that are often complex and tangled.
We agree that we must move towards digital transformation, but we cannot expect it to be done abruptly, discriminating against those who, for one reason or another, have not had access to technology.

Follow us on

The content expressed in this opinion column is the sole responsibility of its author, and does not necessarily reflect the editorial line or position of El Mostrador.

Original source in Spanish

Related Posts

Add Comment