The U.S. Treasury Department on Tuesday announced economic sanctions on five senior officials of the Venezuelan government of Nicolás Maduro, including Jose Adelino Ornelas Ferreira, the Secretary General of the Conse Defense of the Nation, in a new round of pressure against Caracas.
Officials, who were previously sanctioned either by the European Union or Canada, have been linked to violence against opposition protesters and corruption under the Socialist Government of Maduro, said the Treasury Department of United States in a statement.
«The oppressive regime of the former president»
«The Treasury is identifying high-level officials acting on behalf of the oppressive regime of former Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, who continues to participate in appalling levels of corruption and human rights abuses,» said the Venezuelan secretary Steven Mnuchin Treasure.
Among them are Ornelas Ferreira, Remigio Ceballos Ichaso, commander of the operational strategic command of the Venezuelan Armed Forces; Nestor Neptali Blanco Hurtado, major of the Bolivarian National Guard; Pedro Miguel Carreño Escobar, former minister and deputy of the National Constituent Assembly; and Carlos Alberto Calderon Chirinos, senior position of the Bolivarian National Intelligence Service (SEBIN).
As a result, assets that may be held under U.S. jurisdiction are frozen and financial transactions are prohibited from the country’s entities with them.
Since Washington recognized the opposition leader and president of the National Assembly in January, Juan Guaidó, as interim president of Venezuela, President Donald Trump’s administration has imposed heavy sanctions against nearly a hundred people and entities related to President Nicolás Maduro’s executive, in addition to restricting the Venezuelan oil and gold trade.